Mid-1950s Home White Marines Jersey
This mid-1950s jersey was sold at online auction (closed on August 21) in 2018 garnering modest collector attention with three bids. The seller listed the auction with an opening bid for $50 (with a buy-it-now and best offer) however bids took the price above the minimum before the close.
This jersey, like the WWII version also listed in the Archive of Military Baseball Uniforms, is constructed from white wool flannel and features navy blue accents – 1/2-inch blue rayon soutache and blocked athletic felt lettering across the chest. With only two white and blue Marines jerseys coming to market since 2009, it is surprising that it didn’t receive more collector-interest to take the price higher than $100. Most of the Marines jerseys dating from the 1950s have sold for prices ranging from $40-60 so the final bid price for this scarce configuration wasn’t too surprising.
- Buttons: The buttons are pearlescent plastic, convex with two holes.
- Material: The base material is light-weight road white wool-flannel.
- Soutache: A single line of 1/2-inch blue rayon material encircling the collar and down the placket. A band of matching soutache is positioned near the edge of the sleeve cuffs.
- Lettering: Thick blue athletic felt block lettering spelling out the team name in an arc across the chest, on both sides of the placket.
- Numerals: None.
- Sleeves: Four-five inches, gusseted with embroidered armpit vent holes.
- Other features: None
- Tag: No manufacturer’s tags.