Fund Raising Games – Baseball Finances the War Effort
Baseball games, both regular season and exhibition, were pivotal in raising money for a number of purposes, including the Bat and Ball Fund, Army and Navy Relief and War Bonds. The games listed below are spotlighted due to associated artifacts housed as part of the Chevrons and Diamonds Collection.
- Diamond Score: Major League Baseball’s First Service Relief Game – May 8, 1942 – Navy Relief
- Historic Game Program Discovery: July 7, 1942 Service All-Stars – Army/Navy Relief
- A Passion for the Troops: Joe E. Brown’s All Pacific Recreation Fund – August 21, 1943 – Recreation Fund
- Playing for Victory: War Bond Baseball in Hawaii – April 29, 1944 – War Bonds
- Service All-Stars Raising Funds on the Diamond for their Comrades in the Trenches – August 26, 1944 – Recreation Fund
- A Patient Find: Joe and Charlie Headline 1943 Hammond General Hospital Game – October 3, 1944 – Recreation Fund, Hammond General Hospital